Cold Spring, Minnesota began as a resting point on the Red River Oxen Trail in the 1800s, and was incorporated as a city in June of 1889. Today Cold Spring’s population is 4,025, and takes up 2.70 square miles of land in Stearns County. Sports and outdoor activities flourish year-round, with residents and visitors alike enjoying boating, water skiing and fishing in the summer, and cross-country and downhill skiing, ice fishing and snowmobiling in the winter.
The Rockville Granite Company, known today as Cold Spring Granite Company, was established in Cold Spring in the late 1880s. Today Cold Springs Granite Company is the world’s largest supplier of industrial granites, with more than 1,400 employees in four states and Canada. The world-famous Cold Spring Brewing Company and Cold Spring Bakery also have a thriving history in the city, and are still flourishing today.
Cold Spring is a statutory city, with the mayor presiding for a two-year term and four council members serving four-year terms. City Council meetings are held twice a month, on the second and fourth Tuesdays, at City Hall, located at 27 Red River Ave South.
The Stearns County Courthouse serves as Cold Spring’s municipal court, and is located at 725 Courthouse Square in St. Cloud.