Helping Build Families in Minnesota
Choosing to start or expand your family through adoption is an exciting and life-changing decision. In Minnesota, adoption laws are created to ensure that the child’s best interest will be taken care of. Some laws give special protections for children based on race, age and various other factors. Every petition for adoption requires approval by the judicial courts, and can vary by region. Hiring an experienced attorney fluent in these laws will help ensure a smooth adoption process.
Adoption Court and Legal Procedures
There are various types of adoption, such as infant adoption, interstate and international adoption, and special needs adoption, and each type has its own steps to take and papers to file.
The General Adoption Process:
- The petitioner(s) must reside in Minnesota for one year or less, depending on relation to the adoptee
- Jurisdiction will depend on the county in which the petitioner resides
- A petition must be filed by the petitioner(s), as well as a proposed adoption “Decree”
- A background check and home study of the petitioner(s) will be conducted
- A hearing will be held before a judge
- If the petition is granted by the judge, an official adoption Decree will be issued.
An experienced lawyer can help you through every step of the adoption process, and ensure you have all of the proper items in order when submitting your petition.
Let Us Work With You to Complete Your Family
At Vermeulen Law Office, P.A. we have more than two decades of experience helping families through the good and the bad, and we’re here to serve you. If you’re ready to start the adoption process or are just beginning to consider your options, give us a call and we’ll help you get your metaphorical ducks in a row. We pride ourselves in providing dedicated and qualified professional legal counsel, and we will answer all your questions to help you take the first step toward completing your family.